Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 11:44:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing very slow

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Burton Sampley wrote:

> Is anybody else having problems printing under -current?  I know I'm using
> an ancient printer (Epson FX 80+ 9 pin dot matrix) but now it's printing
> about 1 pass of the print head every 2 - 5 minutes.  The printer itself
> works fine in test mode.  FWIW I'm using apsfilter from the ports
> collection.  I tried removing and re-installing apsfilter, but I keep
> getting the same results.  The last time I CVSUP'ed and made world
> (include rebuilding the kernel) was yesterday afternoon (PST).
>
> Any ideas?

I've seen this about a hundred times on the questions list.  I don't know
about you, but everyone else has had stacked up interrupts.  No matter
how many times you type [isa can't share interrupts], no one believes
you.  Most commonly, it's been the audio cards, since some of them
auto-install to irq7, which the printer usually has.

If you have two isa cards sharing one interrupt, that's your problem.

> Burton
>
> ---
> Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
> system at http://www.freebsd.org
>
> E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
> Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
> Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)