Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:22:09 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jason Litz <jlitz@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot problem after new installation

Jason Litz wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm new to BSD and I am afraid my ignorance is my number one problem.
> However, my BSD problem goes like this.
>
> I just installed for the first time FreeBSD ver 3.4 on a brand new machine
> sharing Win2000.
> My machine has the following -
> MSI K7T Turbo-r Motherboard with AMD 1.2GHZ chip and 512m ram
> Seagate Barracuda ATA III 40G hard drive set up LBA with the BIOS saying it
> has 4865cyl - 255h - 63s
> Pioneer 16x DVD drive
> Video card out of a one yr old Gateway machine - don't know the make and
> model, find out if necessary
> floppy
>
> I already had to Windows partitions defined.  I installed according to the
> installation instructions in "The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey" 3rd
> edition.
>
> The install seemed to go fine.  The only error I encountered was -
>                                 "Unable to transfer the PC98 - Servers/x9TGU distribution from Acd0c"
>
> I did select to have the Boot manager installed.
>
> On the first reboot after install the boot manager appeared as -
> F1: ??
> F2: ??
> F3: FreeBSD
>
> Default F3
>
> This is where it hangs.
> I can reboot and press F1 to go into Windows but no matter if I leave the
> default at F3 or press F3 it never boots BSD and the hard drive light does
> not come on.
>
> I have verified that the hd geometry, during install, is the same as in the
> bios.  I tried to boot from a floppy and specify
> boot: hd()kernel  as specified in the above book on page 101 but I never see
> the boot: prompt and I've hit keys in several places during the boot off
> floppy but nothing.  It just carries me on into the install procedures.
>
> I have not been successful looking in the online doc or the web site.  This
> is surely due to my ignorance of BSD.
> I would highly appreciate any help and would be glad to supply any other
> info I can that may help.

Well, you didn't tell us anything important. First of all how much space
on the 40GB drive is partitioned for W2K. FreeBSD 3.4 won't boot if your
root partiton is past 8.4GB. Many people use the FreeBSD boot manger but
I load Windows a lot more often and chose to use W2K's boot manager. You
can always make your W2K partition active and boot W2K.

I would download the iso for 4.3 or buy the CD's. FreeBSD 4.3 doesn't
have the problem with the large drives. I'm typing this on a Abit KT7
with an AMD 900 t-bird. I running W2K because RosettaStone for Spanish
runs on this system.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart