Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marco e Nello <root@hope.cnuce.cnr.it>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP - problems with VAT

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Marco e Nello wrote:

> I have installed VAT (BSDI version) on a FreeBSD workstation, but
> unfortunately the sliders don't work properly, in a way that they seem
> not to open both the microphone device and the output speakers.
>
> I have got a Soundblaster 32, installed as SB16 since FreeBSD does not
> support my soundcard. All the other ports seem working right with it.
>
> I have already emailed to Jim Lowe who told me to ask you for this.
>
> Do you chance to know, in any case, if there is a FreeBSD VAT version
> available, and in that case, could ya please mail me the URL for
> downloading or could you mail me what you think this problem depends on.

It's been a while since I set up vat, I've forgotten how I did it!  :-)

Yeah, the sliders don't work.  Use the mixer(1) command instead to adjust
the volumes.

And NEVER, NEVER open the mic when you're receiving audio -- the machine
will lock up hard!

You may want to try the 'vat-and-half' utility availabe from
ftp://rah.star-gate.com -- it's a half-duplex version of vat that will
work properly on your SB.