Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:51:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: `make info'?

> Uhh, GUIDELINES was for porters, not users...so this system is not
> going to "replace" it....

You misunderstand me.  If you're going to go to a "meta README" deal,
then you're going to have a chance to do more than talk about invoking
rules like `info' (and `build' and `install', please!), you'll be able
to point to the URL of the ports guidelines section of the handbook.
Those so inclined can follow it.  Problem solved.

In fact, while we're at it, why not also do the README in HTML?  It'd
still be human readable if you were careful about imbeding the
formatting statements unobtrusively (no AREFs in the middle of
paragraphs, just down in a summary bar on the bottom of the page).
Then we can automate a little CGI tree-walker for the ports directly
from the web.

					Jordan