Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:17:48 -0500
From:      Edward Carmody <ecarmody@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't boot normally - syslog?

Hi,

Running a 5.2.1-Current box.  After we suffered a power outage, and the UPS went
offline, the FBSD shut down ugly.

I get the usual messages scrolling by when I try to boot, but as soon as the
drive gets mounted, I see nothing but zillions of scrolling messages without
newlines:

logmsg: pri 166, flags 17, from oberon,g

over and over again.  I've let this run like this for an hour, and it shows no
indication of stopping.  :(

I've booted into single-user mode, ran fsck, let it fix some inconsistencies it
found, but when I try to reboot normally, I still get the same logmsgs over and
over again.

Looks like syslog is looping, but I've no idea how to start fixing this.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Carmody