Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:43:55 +0000
From:      scottclansman@cwazy.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

>  And anything that
> gets near internationalization on Unix or Linux, namely KDE and Gnome,
> requires even more powerful hardware than "Windoze" and probably still
> doesn't have the kind of local language integration that a localized
> version of Windows has.

Um... never had it work quite that way.  Especially at the server level things
almost always work smoother on older systems for me than with Windows boxes,
and at the user level it's generally the same.  Of course, it depends on how
much eye candy I enable with KDE on my Pentium w/MMX @ 233MHz, but I get
better performane (And fit more apps and more usefullness on the 2 GB HD) by
far than Windows XP, and does good compared to Windows 2000 (Which, granted,
runs alot faster than XP).  I don't care to argue about older operating
systems on older hardware, or newer operating systems on newer hardware, but
when it comes to *NIX vs Doze on old hardware, Windows is designed to require
a hardware upgrade.  Who in their right mind would try to run Windows XP on a
233MHz system?  I use it as a router :-P, and can't bare much of anything
else.  I used it as a secondary workstation for a while with *NIX, however,
and found it very usefull and enjoyable to use under KDE 3.1 (And a 1 GB HD
at the time, which was plenty enough space for the apps I needed)

> Wake up from your pipe dreams.  Shipping decommissioned computers to the
> 3rd world is not going to solve any development problem.  Cheap Asian
> computers with a pirated localized version of XP Home and Office are a

Many countries have localized versions of Linux or other *NIX systems as well,
and in my opinion SuSE, Mandrake, or Fedora (And maybe others) are easy
enough to use by now to be a viable alternative to Windows on the desktop
(Granted KDE or Gnome).  Though I do agree, that people shouldn't be forced
to learn English or other more commonly spoken languages to use their
computers.
      Cheerio,
   SigmaX