Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:50:56 -0800
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT - network sniffing - is this what I need?

This isn't necessarily FreeBSD related, only partly. It's network
trouble-shooting related.
I hope you don't mind my posting here, it you're not interested, then
please disregard this
message and move on to other messages.

I have a situation at work where we think we may need to do some network
sniffing, packet
tracing, something to figure out if one particular workstation's problems
are caused by the
network connection, hub, switch, nic, whatever.

Here's the situation -
Workstation1 is in the warehouse shipping dept. It scans product barcodes
into the ERP
program - MAS200. The scanned-in numbers are automatically inserted into
the invoice and
a packing list is printed. The invoice then is handled by accounting.

The problem -
Occasionally in the process above a line that was scanned will be dropped.
That is, it will not
appear on the invoice, but will appear on the packing list. The product is
shipped, the packing
list shows all is well. The next day the invoice is processed, but missing
one item, but it may
not be noticed because the accounting people don't know what was supposed
to be on the
original order, they just see what was generated from the scanning
station. This means product
goes out and we have no record of it, and get no money for it. Not good.
We have a consultant
for MAS200 here who wrote a report for the shipping guys to run that
supposedly shows what
lines, if any, were dropped. Then we can fix the problem so the dropped
lines are inserted into
the invoice and all is well with invoicing all the product going out.

So, that brings us to the job of determining why/where/how the lines are
being dropped. We
have been led to believe we need to do some sniffing on the network
connection at the work-
station (a winnt box) to see if the dropped lines ever get sent to the
MAS200 server (a winnt box).

Would using a sniffer be the best method of tracking down such a problem?
If so, any suggested
sniffers? If not, any suggestion for a better trouble-shooting method. I
have looked at ettercap, but
that looks like overkill, if it will even run. I have a 2 FreeBSD
workstations on the network I can do
the sniffing from.

Regards
--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 9? Somebody help me!)