Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:21:44 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        crap@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft giving back to FreeBSD !!

Well...yes, we are being used, but that's what BSD is about.

All in all, we have two options..embrace them or ignore them, and the
final decision will be made by the end users. Are windoze users
interested in FreeBSD now? Is Yahoo (to mention one company, replace
any other name here) interested in .NET if it's more open than Java?

What they are doing is perfectly legal and ethically correct; I don't
think they will be able to "squash" the GPL though.

I think this will be good for FreeBSD.. but if the interested parties
are not careful it will bring harm to Linux and to Java. I don't care
much about the first one, and believe me...they will survive. About
Java and what it means to the Internet, let's say they are in great
danger unless they react now (and I don't think they will) but that is
not our fault.

About these comments about breaking apart the Opensource community;
read well the FUD about BSD vs GPL and you will conclude that we have
never been together. This ends up being a slight advantage in favor of
Microsoft, but it's not MS's fault. As I said the could just as well
release them under the same license for Linux.

     Pedro.

ps...what is crap@FreeBSD.org ... nevermind, I'll find out :).