Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:51:06 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] pkg 1.3.0 alpha1: Breath of fresh air from Kirov

--Ep5m4srWGXPl6O+g

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:40:52AM -0600, John Nielsen wrote:
> Looks great! Thanks as always for the work. I do have one question (below=
).
>=20
> On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > - Remove support for PACKAGESITE
>=20
> There are two cases where I still define PACKAGESITE in the environment, =
specifically when building new jails or VM images. Can you suggest alternat=
ives?
>=20
> 1. Installing/bootstrapping the latest pkg from a specific source. Often =
I build in an environment that is firewalled from the Internet at large but=
 I have a local repo. (And it's nice to know exactly what version with whic=
h options I'm installing.)

What is done in the FreeBSD DVD is creatign a conf files manually:
	url: "http://where"
}

and env REPOS_DIR=3D/path/to/the/directory/containing/the/file pkg ...
>=20
> 2. Installing a package that includes a repo file for my local custom rep=
o. This is a chicken-and-egg problem for which PACKAGESITE was a nice solut=
ion since there's no risk of a stale repo file being left behind--either th=
e package is installed (with the correct/current repo file) or it isn't.

same as above or if you already have pkg bootstrapped you can do pkg add ht=
tp://...../yourpkg.txz
which makes me see that 1.3.0.a1 has lost pkg add|install http://... which =
we
need to fix for alpha2