Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:32:15 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE HELP: Problem backing up multiple filesystems on tape

On Thursday 27 September 2001 10:57 am, Mark Rowlands wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2001 9:32 am, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since i did not receive any reply to my post below, i repost.
> > Does nobody on the list backup his or her data to tape?
> > Or are you using other tools than dump?
>
> yes,  tar!
>
> > Please help, since my new server is useless if i cannot back it up!
>
> ok ...send it to me then
>
> > The question again: How can i write and retrieve more than one filesystem
> > to one tape?
>
> hang on and I'll try it here
>
> > TIA
> >
> > Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I have successfully set up our new department server using 4.3-RELEASE.
> > > I attached our DLT1 tape drive to the system and tried to do a backup.
> > > However i am unable to write and retrieve multiple filesystems to one
> > > tape. I had no problems with that under Solaris, Linux and OpenBSD ,
> > > but under FreeBSD things seem to be a bit different.
> > >
> > > What i tried was:

> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # mt rewind
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # dump 0caf /dev/nrsa0 /
>
> why c?
>
> > >   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Sep 26 12:29:25 2001
> > >   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
> > >   DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1a (/) to /dev/nrsa0
> > >   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
> > >   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
> > >   DUMP: estimated 49239 tape blocks.
> > >   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
> > >   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
> > >   DUMP: DUMP: 49254 tape blocks on 1 volume
> > >   DUMP: finished in 31 seconds, throughput 1588 KBytes/sec
> > >   DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
> > >   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
> > >
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # dump 0caf /dev/nrsa0 /var
> > >
> > >   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Sep 26 12:30:15 2001
> > >   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
> > >   DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1e (/var) to /dev/nrsa0
> > >   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
> > >   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
> > >   DUMP: estimated 4495 tape blocks.
> > >   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
> > >   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
> > >   DUMP: DUMP: 4489 tape blocks on 1 volume
> > >   DUMP: finished in 1 seconds, throughput 4489 KBytes/sec
> > >   DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
> > >   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
> > >
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # mt rewind
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # restore tf /dev/nrsa0 > /dev/null
> > >
> > > Level 0 dump of / on antsrv1.comm.uni-bremen.de:/dev/ad0s1a
> > > Label: none
> > >
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] # restore tf /dev/nrsa0 > /dev/null
> > >
> > > Tape is not a dump tape        <===!
> > >
> > > root@antsrv1 [~] #

> > > Why am i unable to retrieve the second dump? I also played with
> > > filemarks, but to no avail.
> > > Any suggestions?

dump -0 -a -f /dev/nrsa0 /var
dump -0 -a -f /dev/nrsa0 /spare
mt -f /dev/nrsa0 rewind
restore -t -f /dev/nrsa0
bunch of stuff indicating data from /var
mt -f /dev/nrsa0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf 1
restore -t -f /dev/nrsa0
bunch of stuff indicating data from /spare

so it works here  - minus that funny little "c" option  :-
     -c      Change the defaults for use with a cartridge tape drive, with a
             density of 8000 bpi, and a length of 1700 feet.