Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:42:59 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   APC Back-UPS Pro1000 vs apcupsd

Hello,
     Has anyone gotten an APC Back-UPS Pro1000 ups system working with FreeBSD (4.x / 5.x), using the supplied cable: 940-0020B?

I've just attempted to install this on one of my systems, but can't seem to get this to do anything but (supposedly) start, with the corresonding message in /var/log/messages: apcupsd 3.10.13 (16 April 2004) freebsd startup succeeded.

The test (from the online manual) that suggests that pulling the serial cable from the back of either the server or ups unit will cause a message to be written to messages after two seconds fails - well, nothing gets written to messages, actually, waited about 10 minutes and still nothing.

What I'm really confused about is the fact that this ups is supposed to somewhat of the cleverer line, but given the serial cable's product code, apcupsd docs say that I'm not going to get much out of this unit. Using this same model under Solaris 9 and RH Linux / Fedora Core2 with the PowerChute software included, provides quite a lot of capability with this APC model, that I hoped would be available with apcupsd running under FreeBSD.

Is there a FreeBSD-ish specific howto somewhere that I can check out to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree here to begin with? Any pointers to any information would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

Stacey