Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:11:14 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        Matt Snow <drama@slakin.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade vs. cvsup ports-supfile

+---- Matt Snow wrote:
| I was wondering what the difference is between portupgrade, and doing a
| cvsup ports-supfile.
|
| Can anybody tell me the difference's between the two?

The ports system provides a collection of patches and makefiles to
build common 3rd party programs on FreeBSD.  When you cvsup your ports,
what you are doing is updating those makefiles and patch files.  It
does not upgrade the ports you have already installed.

Portupgrade is a build/version management system that handles the
building, installation, and upgrading of packages.  It is used to
upgrade previously installed ports, with special attention to versioning
and dependencies.

Let's say you've installed widget-1.0 from your ports tree.  After
cvsupping /usr/ports you look and find that widget-2.0 is available.
You then can use portupgrade to upgrade your widget installation, along
with the other installed ports that may depend on it.

hope this helps

--
Steve Tremblett