Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:34:06 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT clusters running MS SQL

On 3 Mar 2000 13:12:38 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.chat you wrote:
>I found some details at TPC's site.  yes, the hardware was very
>different, but NT and MS SQL Server look like real contenders...
>Is there anything we can do to get BSD on this list?
>Or is this one of those 'you have to pay to play' games?

The fact that MSSQL showed great speeds in a network cluster might mean
piss all if you want to build a high availability web server or pop3
server.  In terms of those studies, always look to see who commissioned it.
Generally, those who pay get what they want.  It sounds awful cynical, but
my wife having escaped the seedy world of Market research can attest to the
fact that there is always pressure to give the answers the clients want to
the point where you sometimes are pushed to the point where its an outright
lie. I am not saying that this is always the case, or that all firms are
like this... But, I am sure SUN can come forth with its own studies that
show how its clustering system with Oracle can blow the socks off NT--
especially if the use some of their higher end hardware.  In the end, it
really doesnt necessarily mean much.

Evaluate the technology yourself. See what makes sense for the problem at
hand.  Maybe its NT. Maybe LINUX, maybe FreeBSD.  Remember that the initial
cost of hardware and software (the OS) is only one componenet.  If your
people know jack about UNIX and are all NT experts, can you justify the
cost of retraining them to bring them up to speed (or vice versa) ?  Maybe,
maybe not.  Because one app can run 10% faster on NT, does that mean you
should choose NT ?  What if you can save 30% on administration because the
equivalant app on UNIX is more manageable? Scalable ? Stable ?

I think hotmail.com which is owned by MS made a good choice for their
network.
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.hotmail.com

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)