Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:23:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6R kernel compile problems

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 garyj@frt.dec.com wrote:

> vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM writes:
> > 	We're having a problem with two of three machines that if we
> > specified options pty 256 from pty 64, the machine will just keep
> > rebooting over and over again right after npx0 in the device list, it says
> >
> > panic: double fault
> >
> > This happens where normally it identifies the swap device I think.
> >
> > 	Any ideas?  It works fine at pty 64.  All devices (ptys) have been
> > configured as well as /etc/ttys updated.
> >

> I imagine the reason you've never gotten a reply to any of the mails
> which you've sent out on this subject is that you haven't provided any
> usable details.
>
> What version of FBSD are you using ?

	It's in the subject of the message, 2.1.6R.

> Try providing a list of the routines (nm /kernel) around the address
> where it's failing. And also identify the routine where it fails. Then
> somebody might be able to help.

	I'm not sure if the nm /kernel will work since I need to boot with
/kernel.old as the /kernel with ptys at 256 would panic the kernel right
after it does the probe on npx0.  It will just reboot over and over again.
This only happens on two 2.1.6R machines but the same config kernel works
fine on other machines running 2.1.6R and -current.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET
Unix Networking Operations
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate