Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 00:06:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        hans@brandinnovators.com (Hans Zuidam)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: 2.2.5R crashes with ah2940W & WangDAT 3100

On 14-May-98 Hans Zuidam wrote about "2.2.5R crashes with ah2940W & WangDAT
3100":
> While the sequence leading up to the reboot are (there's more before this).

And what's *AFTER* this?

> May 13 18:15:16 truk /kernel: SEQADDR = 0x99 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5
> SSTAT1 = 0x2
  [...stuff deleted...]
> May 14 02:00:04 truk /kernel: cd0(ahc0:3:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device
> reset occurred

I had a similar problem while using my 2940-AU with "Termination AUTO" enabled
in its BIOS, but it didn't crashed the machine, it simply resetted my SCSI bus
with a long timeout (this is why I'm asking what's after this: does your
machine really reboot?).

This disappeared when I switched to "Termination OFF" (I had both the internal
and external chain).

If this is your problem, change controller settings.

> Note that between 18:15 and 2:00 nobody was using the machine.
> Any ideas?

I suppose that somebody (something ?) used the machine at 02:00:00, hopefully
accessing your CD drive... :-)

First guess: did you leave the CD mounted? At 02:00:00 cron starts the daily
script, and that may somehow access your drive (lot of "find" in there...).

>                                       Hans

Bye, UP