Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 09:08:27 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contrib code and gnu build glue (was [CFR] /sys/miscfs/* -> /sys/fs/)

In message <3B0E03CC.4B5971F1@DougBarton.net> Doug Barton writes:
: 	I understand the current situation, I just don't like it. :) IMO it would
: be better to leave the sources in src/gnu and have the make glue depend on
: whether the sources are present to build or not. That way all I have to do
: is remove the directory with the specific sources I want to delete and get
: rid of the source and the build decision in one step.

I disagree.  As someone who has to build reduced systems, this would
be a huge pain.  Hacking one file is far easier than trying to remove
sources.  This is especially true when you are building a
"development" system that has everything, and a "deployed" system that
has only non-gnu stuff to the extent possible.  Having to remove trees
to do that when you keep it under CVS is a huge pain.

Believe me, I've tried both models and the delete it first one always
leads to pain and suffering.  Esepcially when you accidentally delete
a change that you needed for the other side of the house.

FreeBSD is very modular right now.  With a tiny amount of glue, we
were able to install only the files we needed on the system.  A couple
of more tweaks and we wouldn't need a "cleanup" pass that we do on our
systems.

It just isn't worth the pain to go that rought.

Warner