Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:34:18 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: pf import

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

Hi,

we started importing OpenBSD's packet filter (pf) from it's port=20
(security/pf). The kernel parts are done, though not linked to any=20
automatic build. If you want to build it already, you can build from the=20
corresponding module directories:=20
        sys/modules/{pf, pflog, pfsync}

Make sure to install new and modified headers.

User of the port should hold off until this is done. The port will no=20
longer build with the new headers installed! There is no userland in the=20
tree, yet!

This brings pf from OpenBSD 3.4 with the complete OpenBSD 3.4 function=20
set. It was tested from the port for a long time now and brings some=20
features that were not available to FreeBSD before. We have reports from=20
people successfully running the port (and a preliminarily version of the=20
changes committed now) on production-use firewalls and servers.

To get an idea of pf's power I suggest reading the OpenBSD FAQ about it:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
or if you prefer a summarize, check out the port status report:
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-oct-2003-dec-2003.html#Porting-Op=
enBSD's-pf

--=20
Best regards,				| max@love2party.net