Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:11:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 4.1 and  unresolved symbols - here an easy thing to try

Posted to XFree86-newbies list
From: Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir@unt.edu>
   [cut]
   Apparently I assumed that the new XFree86 -configure
   was going to accurately pick the right driver for my
   video card. It seems to have decided to use 'ati'
   instead of 'radeon'. This is all under FreeBSD-4.3
   STABLE.
   [cut]

From reading about getting unresolved references this is an easy thing to try
and it may apply to other new cards as well. The XFree86 4.x config file is must
more readable by the novice (me) and as it would seem that

   (a) Xfree86 -configure and,
   (b) xf86cfg

are works in progress so reading is a must. I had <almost> the exact problem, a
Radeon 32 MB SDR card (the one with the scorpion on the box).

In my case the configuration did two things wrong. My system, a Dell PE-300
comes with an embedded ATI video so both "a" and "b" built XF86Config files with
two video and monitor sections, maybe not an error, but neither would it work
because the PCI card supersedes the embedded card. After fixing that it still
did not work giving some unresolved refs.

Changing the driver spec from "ati" to "radeon" made it all better :)

Also note that XFree86 and X may not work after an otherwise good install
because of missing or bad .x<whatever> files. I use xdm so I do not have them so
when I ran

  XFree86 -xf86configure XF86config.new  (from memory may be mispelled)

all I got was the background and the mouse - no sign-in box.

My last observation is that X-apps, including KDE, built for 4.0.2 work fine
(for me).

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com