Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 1995 09:43:01 -0500
From:      David Avraamides <avraad@nyqsdsn1.eq.gs.com>
To:        oi-users@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   my modifications to the .cf file are lost

I've been using the File Selection Dialog in Motif mode and I noticed
that when I try and override the default colors, there's no way to
specify the foreground and background of the scrolling lists in the
dialog. (You can't get at these widgets in uib)

So, I tried putting '*foreground: gray' and '*background: navy' in my
<app>.cf file. This works, but these changes are lost next time I save
my app from uib - even if I make the changes before I load my app into
uib.

My latest solution is to put my configuration resource overrides in a
separate file (<app>.res) and add the following hack to the Makefile:

  # make sure configuration file is up to date
  all: PortCost merged.cf

  #
  # a hack to get my resource definitions (in PortCost.res) into the app's file
  #
  merged.cf : PortCost.cf PortCost.res
  	perl -ni.bak -e 'last if (/^! DO NOT EDIT BELOW HERE/); print' PortCost.cf
  	echo '! DO NOT EDIT BELOW HERE' >> PortCost.cf
  	cat PortCost.res >> PortCost.cf
  	touch merged.cf

This simply re-builds the .cf file if either it or my .res file have
been modified. It is built by taking the OI generated lines and
appending my .res additions.

How are other people dealing with these two common needs?
  1) using non-default colors with dialogs where you can't get access
     to the internal widgets
  2) putting resource settings in the .cf file that uib doesn't
     understand, and thus, doesn't preserve across saves.

Thanks in advance,
--
David Avraamides
Goldman, Sachs & Co.