Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:49:14 +0200
From:      "Merot Kassad" <merot.kassad@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is gmirror safer with load algorithm than round-robin?

List,

I've been running into problems with gmirror and weak SATA controllers that
appear to not handle the rapid simultaneous traffic to different
disks.(Causes crashes.)

I've seen other people have had these problems as well, and was wondering if
anyone here knows if I could expect a difference between the "load" and
"round-robin" algorithms with regards to this problem. Looking at
gstat I see that with "round-robin" the reads to the mirror are
distributed half and half to each provider, while with "load"
I'm able to track the switching back and forth between the providers with
the naked eye so to speak. My reasoning is that this should stress the
controller less, could this be the case?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here have tested the recent patch by Mykola
Zubach to the gmirror "load" algorith, and can relate their experiences.

Sincerely,

Merot