Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:35:33 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>, 'Titus von Boxberg' <ut@bhi-hamburg.de>
Subject:   Re: Booting with multiple RAID1 configs

--nextPart4743298.DrGMz3MWmg

On Saturday 18 June 2005 16:51:16, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Hence, the aftermath on a properly booted system:
>
> pearl# atacontrol status 1
> ar1: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY
>
> pearl# atacontrol status 0
> ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad2 ad0 status: READY
>
> pearl# df -h
>
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ar1s1a   246M   185M    41M    82%    /
> /dev/ar1s1g    38G   9.7G    26G    27%    /home
> /dev/ar1s1e    38G   3.3G    32G     9%    /usr
> /dev/ar1s1f    29G   7.9G    19G    30%    /var
> procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>
> I must add that atacontrol is such a much simpler RAID manipulation tool
> than vinum. I haven't done any redundancy checks or anything as of yet,
> but it almost seems too good to be in the base system :)

Just a hint: Try out what happens if you disconnect one drive of each of yo=
ur=20
raid-arrays and you are rebooting the machine afterwards. I had some bad=20
experience in the past with dual-ataraid configurations where the ataraid=20
driver mixed up devices in case of an array breakage. I ended up with gmirr=
or=20
which stores its raid config data on disk. This means gmirror takes care of=
=20
which disk belongs to which array. It is able to work independent of any=20
controller/channel to disk mapping.

Cheers
ch

=2D-=20