Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 13:08:21 -0400
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Large numbers of users

	Just a little forethought to something that "might" (and the keyword here
is "might") happen in the near future with us.  Well actually it's gonna be
up to me to solve this should it happen.  In the race to consolidate
things, one that I regrettably had to go through this winter and pray I
never have to do again, companies want more out of less.  Therefore, if
things should shift and we're required to host a mail cluster that has
over, oh say 200,000 users, how would I effectively host a mail cluster if
the limit of users is 65k per machine?  Is there a way to setup mail
services that doesn't require me to have any actual user accounts on the
machine, yet still provide mail services?

	So say when you finished setting up the server, the only 4 accounts that
FreeBSD would see would be Root and 3 different administrator
accounts.  All the info for all the other mail users would be pulled from a
different user password database which would be connected with the mail
program only.  I know this exists and I'm definitely behind the ball on
doing this since to pass 5000 users on any server we have is a small
miracle.  But I'm trying to think ahead.

	So what solutions are there out there for providing mail services for user
groups greater than 65k users?  I'm not really worried about the file
servers since I don't see them surpassing 500 users per machine anyways
because of department breakdowns and such, but I do see the mail services
easily passing the 65k mark at some point.  So I'm trying to think ahead
here a bit.  Any suggestions anyone has on handling large numbers of users
most efficiently is welcome.  Again, this is a ways down the road, but I'd
rather be learning and planning now, rather than plugging holes and
fighting fires later.

	Thanks again everyone.