Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:15:07 -0700
From:      "Casey Scott" <casey76@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   port forwarding with ppp & natd

Hi all,

	I have been through all the documentation I can find, and I still haven't
found a definitive answer to my question about port forwarding with a ppp
connection. I have a DSL that uses PPPOE, so the system is connected using
PPP. I need to forward ports from the server to internal systems (natd ips).
PPP filters don't seem to be able to port forward, e.g. redirect
192.168.1.5:9090 9090 (natd rule). From what I have seen, it looks like natd
can be used to nat a ppp connection. I am currently using the -nat connection
with PPP. When I try natd with a -n tun0, the internal client dont have a
connection. When I try natd with -n xl0, I get an error about the card can't
be used. I understand why I get these errors, so I wondering how to get natd
to work with ppp. Or if its even possible to use ppp filters or ipfw to
accomplish the goal of forwarding packets from a specific external port to an
internal machine.

Thanks
Casey