Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:52:44 -0700
From:      William Dean DeVries <william_devries@wsu.edu>
To:        Timur <thor@telecom.sarkor.uz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VT82C686/A/B AC'97 Audio Codec

I would try to load the pcm module using kldload first. "kldload
snd_pcm" will probably work.  If it says the file exist, it's alread in
the kernel.  In 4.8, you need to make the device file in /dev still.
You should read the section in the handbook on freebsd.org "Setting Up
the Sound Card."  I rebuilt my kernel to get mine to work, something
else was trying or was using the irq my sound card need.  It was
probably fixable by editing device.hints in /boot, but the default
kernel has a lot of stuff in it you probably don't need.

--Will