Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:17:50 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/stdlib strtod.c

hi,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:12:40PM -0500, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> [Moved to -standards.]
>
> Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:29:57AM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:
> > >
> > > If you're interested, there's a significantly updated version of this
> > > code in netlib; http://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/fp/ .  It looks like
> > > there's even a generalized version that can handle long double; we'd
> > > need that if we wanted to support %Lf or strtold().
> >
> > Thanks for link! I've found some interesting stuff there and
> > will bring it in after some time.
> >
> > BTW, there's difference between old and this versions of NetLib in
> > license. Should I update (change AT&T -> Lucent) ? Or something other ?
>
> I would like to see these vendor imported, if at all possible.  As
> Bruce pointed out, they usually fix problems much soon than us.

I don't see a reason to get it vendor imported for few reasons:

1. it's only one file (src/lib/libc/stdlib/strtod.c). Maybe we need
   to think to take few more like strtof(), but I not sure in
   full and generalized versions compatibility. Need testing. Most
   of other stuff is not supposed to work on IEEE arifmetic machines
   or not standard (not included to POSIX, SuS or C99). Correct me
   if I wrong.

2. we'll have to change it (at least for adding new definitions of
   arches). Vendor's version is supposed to work on i8087, m86k,
   vax, ibm and cray arches.

3. And according of "much soon than us": All problems that Bruce
   mentioned are not problems, just style improvements.

And last I think difference in slow reaction on addition of new
features/imporovement to Netlib (merging them to FreeBSD) is more
result of lack of interest to such complicated (and already working!)
code. So, let me some time and then you'll see "request for review", please
give comments.

Even (1) is enough to understand that vendor import is just overhead
because file will be taken out of vendor branch as soon as powerpc and sparc64
arches comes to "make world" as it already has been done for alpha and ia64.