Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:53:49 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: su root hangs when logged in via SSH

> Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I had a similar problem to this in the past where syslogd was kind of
> > hung, and the su was blocking waiting for I guess syslog to return.  If you
> > can login as root on the console, kill syslogd, restart it and see if su
> > works once again.
>
> Nope, it does not work again. But after a couple of seconds after
> restarting syslogd I've got this messages on the console:
>  "syslogd: timed out waiting for child"
>
> Another note, syslogd does not go with a normal kill, it needs a kill -9
> to make it into heaven.
>
> Could this be related to having a serial console?

This sounds very familiar to me.  I had a problem like this in the
past, and it was a case of syslog blocking trying to write to /dev/console
and blocking.  The comconsole port starts a getty on /dev/console, which
might be surprising if you also had one running on ttyd0.

I don't recall the details, but I think that the serial console is
definately related to your problem.