Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:12:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alif The Terrible <measl@mfn.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pam_radius and logins (2nd request for help)

Hello,

I am attempting to centralize login credentials via RADIUS, as opposed to the
current [evil] NIS.

Currently, a telnet to my RADIUS authenticated [PAM] host goes like this:

	su-2.05a# telnet localhost
	Trying 127.0.0.1...
	Connected to localhost.mfn.org.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	Trying SRA secure login:
	User (root): test
	Password:			<--- RADIUS PW is accepted according
	[ SRA accepts you ]		to logs.

	FreeBSD/i386 (STEELMILL) (ttyp1)

	RADIUS password:		<--- RADIUS again sends an accept, but...
	Login incorrect
	login:

It looks to me like telnetd is getting it right, but the login process is
missing it.  I have tried many variation of the default pam.conf with no
changes.  I have noticed that if I place a passwd entry for "test", using
"*" for the password, auth works.  This led me to try using
"template_user=nobody", without success.

Does anybody have RADIUS auth working for direct logins?  (The NAS are fine,
it's just telnet/login/ssh on the BSD boxen themselves that are borked...

Please copy me directly, as I am not currently subscribed.

P.S. How's 5.0 looking for the targeted release date?  Inquiring daemons want
to know!

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson