Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:29:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cpn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please Help with boot freeze

You have been booted into single-user mode because of the error in your
rc.conf file.  By default this mounts the root filesystem only and in
read-only mode.  To remount your filesystems with the correct modes, use

/sbin/mount -u -a

The -a flag indicates that all the filesystems described in fstab(5) are
mounted, except for those marked with the noauto flag.

The -u flag indicates that the status of an already mounted file
system should be changed.  This will force the root filesystem to be
remounted in read/write mode.

cheers,
Carey Nairn