Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:15:09 +0100
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        "Sam C. Zamarripa" <scz73@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP & Drops

On Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 03:27:52AM -0800, Sam C. Zamarripa wrote:
[...snip...]
> Every once in awhile there will be a connection
> drop. Everything works fine then all of the sudden everything stops.

I've got the same problem.

> I have sat and waited up to 5 minutes during these burps and nothing ever
> seem to come back on its own. I kill -9 dhclient and start it again and I'm
> back on the net. The last 2 times it burped on me tonight, I didn't wait a
> second..as soon as it dropped I killed dhclient and restarted and was
> immediately back on the net.

man(5) dhclient.conf contains some interesting stuff; I've tried setting
'retry 30' (as in 30 secs), but that doesn't seem to do the trick. As
you point out killing dhclient and starting it again works... until it
"dies" again.

> This is why I am maybe wondering if its something with my DHCP setup.

Hopefully, the grand-master-guru of dhclient have heard our cries for
help. It's a pain in the arse, it is.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Cheers
--