Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving ipf(1) to ipf(8)?

In article <19990720211427.A4523@catkin.nothing-going-on.org>,
Nik Clayton  <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Assuming I did this, what's the approved method?
>
> Myself, I'd just
>
>     # mv ipf.1 ipf.8
>     # cvs remove ipf.1
>     # cvs add ipf.8
>     # cvs commit -m "Renamed ipf.1 to ipf.8" ipf.1 ipf.8
>     [... check for any other man pages that refer to ipf(1) and update
>          them accordingly ...]
>
> which properly reflects that (until the change) ipf.8 didn't exist.  I
> *would not* use a repository copy for this.

When in doubt, ask the repo-man. :-)

There's enough history in the file that _if_ it were going to be
renamed, a repository copy should be used.  (I don't like them either,
but they're What We Do.)

However, you shouldn't rename the file, because it is in the contrib
tree.  The whole point of contrib is that it must stay as nearly
identical to the author's distributions as possible, so that imports
of new versions aren't painful.

I think you should lobby the author <darrenr@freebsd.org> to rename
the file in his own tree.  Then the problem goes away when the next
release is imported.

Meanwhile, if you want to install it into man8, you could do it with
special rules in "src/sbin/ipf/Makefile".  Something like this
(untested) should do the trick:

    MAN8=           ipf.8
    CLEANFILES+=    ipf.8

    ipf.8:  ipf.1
	    cp ${.ALLSRC} ${.TARGET}

and delete the MAN1 line for ipf.1.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron