Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 18:27:31 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@Dataplex.Net>
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Juliet

> >TBH, the capabilities database is *not* designed to be automatically
> >managed; the ability to crossreference one tag from within another is a
> >complete nightmare.
>
> I don't propose that the back end have much, if any, semantic knowledge.
> In this case, all that it would know is that to display a file, it loops
> over the file's tags. To display the tag, it emits the tag, displays the
> aliases, and then displays the capabilities. It ends the process with an
> end-of-line.

Fair enough.  I suspect that I may have reached that conclusion myself;
it has been some little time since I worked on that module.

> >Given that the method implementations are not likely to be shared
> >amongst nodes of different types, ie. inheritance is likely to be
> >almost nil, the extra complexity involved in this didn't seem to be
> >worthwhile.
>
> Here, I take exception. As we start building the higher layers, I think
> that you will see quite a bit more sharing. I think that the capability
> should be handled in the "engine". Just think about the layers that
> I will want to add when we consider the multi-machine distributed case.
> I hope that I can use one engine

In the multisystem case, I see the break occuring at a higher point.
Juliet's offspring lives down in the interface between the LDAP server
and the system's configuration files, where it is only dealing with one
system.

> >In the cases I've looked at so far, most of the methods have been
> >largely procedural.  This doesn't bend well to a table-driven approach,
> >unfortunately.
>
> I think that you may have taken a small sample that is looking too deep.
> Try backing off a bit and you may find more commonality. There will
> always be those "special cases" simply because some failed to use a
> common structure and did it differently.

Sure.  I can certainly think of a few off the top of my head.  I recall
you weren't suggesting table-only, which gives us the best of both
worlds.

> >Definitely.  With the current discussions regarding implementing
> >transactions via LDAP container objects, the presentation of
> >transactions is likely to be much simpler (as all parameters will be
> >available at the time of the transaction).
>
> Another transport that has merit is SNMP. I don't think the two are that
> far apart. If we can keep them unified within our system, we will be
> able to create a much better network administration tool.

You're missing the point with SNMP though; it doesn't have any of the
value-add features that make LDAP desirable.  There would be nothing
stopping you exporting the LDAP space through an SNMP interface of
course.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\