Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 03:30:25 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCR19LXBsoQiA=?=  =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCSCUbKEI=?=) <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, alex@big.endian.de, ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp, andrews@technologist.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp(1) breakage w/ passive mode?

>> 	ume and I discussed it a little bit, directly.
>Tested the patch on a 4.0S system against KRB5 tunnelled through VPN
>(pipsecd for now) then NATed (using IP Filter at the remote side) to my
>employer's network.  Kerberos rlogin and KRB5 telnet now work however
>KRB5 ftp still has problems.

itojun>	I personally believe the patch to getaddrinfo(3) by ume is
itojun>	not very relevant - the patch may change part of its API,
itojun>	and it can choke some of the callers.  I personally prefer fixing
itojun>	ftp(1) and other callers if necessary.

Yes.  the patch convert all IPv4 mapped IPv6 address returned into
IPv4 address.  If someone announce mapped address using AAAA RR, it
also converted.  So, caller have no chance to know whether returned
address is mapped address or native IPv4 address.  However, I think
this is rare case in at least now.
After correcting getaddrinfo()'s search order, in some case, A RR is
accidentaly converted into mapped address without expectation of
caller.  This may confuse IPv4 people and force inconvenience.  I
worry about this.
Fixing ftp(1) and other caller is also important.  But, it is another
issue.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/