Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:52:57 +0400 (AMT)
From:      Hrant Dadivanyan <hrant@dadivanyan.net>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

> > Then allow me to be the second.  But then, I find poudriere
> > unusable on my build system (I don't use ZFS and my memory is
> > apparently too limited).  Portmaster just does the right thing.
> >
> > We get that you don't like portmaster.  So please don't use it.
> > But don't deprive the rest of us.                      -- George
>
> Did you actually install it, use it, and compare?
> Or are you just saying this based on what you think it does?
>
> So far every former portmaster use that tried it (really tried it) has
> switch with one possible exception (he didn't see the rationale for the
> build logic so I don't know if he kept using it or not).
>
> And not one person until Mattias said portmaster was "easier".
>
> BTW, if your system is too limited for poudriere, then likely you
> couldn't use tmpfs with Synth, so you'd lose out on a lot of
> performance.  It would still be better than live building though.

It's fine that there is such an excellent tool as synth, but in server
environment, when only a few ports are installed, having a management port
with 17 dependencies is not reasonable. From the very beginning portmaster
works fine for me and, as far as I can see, for many other people.

>From my point it's mandatory to have a lightweight tool like postmaster is
and the question should be how to maintain it, instead of how limited it is.

Thank you,
Hrant