Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:31:34 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>, cy@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/37290: New port: tool for setting the title of xterms

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 09:39:51PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > There are a number that could be. I don't really mind if it gets
> > commited or not but I thought it should be the end users choice as to
> > what they install or if they wirte scripts to do what they need.
>
> 	The question isn't what we allow the users to use (of course),
> it's about what we support in the ports tree. Given that (as far as I
> know) csh-derived shells can also do this without help, and this
> functionality is already provided by another program in ports, this port
> is redundant, and probably shouldn't be included.

This argument shows that there is confusion what the ports collection
is for. As far as I see it (feel free to discuss this) The ports
collection-skeleton (the directory structure, the makefiles), that's
maintained by the FreeBSD team. But the actual ports itself, they're
maintained by their maintainers. Sometimes the persons who made
them, sometimes the persons who use them and who want to give
something back to the FreeBSD community.

There are ports which add something new to the operating system (a
webserver, a newsserver), there are ports which improve the current
utilities on the operating system (shells, utilities, editors) and
there are ports which replace things in the opearting system (MTAs,
X-servers, gcc).
Besides that, there are multiple versions of the same ports (with
and without IPv6, newer versions of a programming language or
toolkit) and there are multiple ports of the same functionality
(webservers, webbrowsers, instant messagers).

Refusing a port because there is something with the same functionality
is not done, towards the person who put effort in it to port it (I
remember my first port) and towards the future (if the port currently
available is removed from the distribution point and the author
isn't reachable anymore).

So yeah, if it was up to me then all the ports submitted would be
accepted, regardless of their functionality. The only reason not
to accept a port is because on technical grounds (isn't fetchable,
doesn't compile), not on functionality.

Just my 2 cents,
Edwin

--