Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:07:46 +0100
From:      Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, sysadmin@alexdupre.com
Subject:   mysql41-server's rc.d script broken?

Hello,

just upgraded from mysql-server-4.1.20 to 4.1.22 and noticed that the
rc.d script isn't working anymore. Doh.

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start
Starting mysql.

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server status
mysql is not running.

If I run mysqld_safe directly mysqld starts as expected. I had a look
into the script but could not find the source of the problem. I'm not
sure if that's a misconfiguration just on my site - anyone else seeing
this?

OK - I just edited the script so that it won't send mysqld_safe's
output to /dev/null and got the following:

Starting mysql.
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/db/mysql/shodan.nognu.de.pid
061220 04:05:50  mysqld ended

/var/db/mysql/shodan.nognu.de.err says this:

061220 04:04:03  mysqld started
061220  4:04:03 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile
'/usr/local/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'
061220  4:04:03 [ERROR] Aborting

Strange. /usr/local/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys is there and mysqld
just starts fine if I start it manually. Any clues are welcome.

Frank