Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:46:39 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packaging the FreeBSD base system with pkg(8)

from Glen Barber:

> As many know, work has been in progress for quite some time to provide
> the ability to package and upgrade the FreeBSD base system using pkg(8).
> The majority of the initial implementation has provided much of the core
> functionality to make this possible, however much work still needs to be
> done.

(snip)

Would the base system all be one package?

In Linux, everything is part of a package, even the kernel, but something comparable to FreeBSD or NetBSD base system would have many packages.

Will it be possible to upgrade base system with portmaster or portupgrade, and would that be better than the current procedure in UPDATING?

Would pkg then be able to show a package's required shared libraries including shared libraries from the base system?  I was recently stung by pkg not showing required shared libraries from the base system.

I just subscribed to freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org .

Tom