Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:17:01 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        bugs@warlock.win.net, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: A "FreeBSD" Daemon

>  > Let me suggest something along the same lines.  Ditch the daemon thing.
>
>  Hmmmm.  I'm glad I don't have your mailbox for the next couple of days! ;-)

I have to disagree. cute mascots are good, and we should have one. but I have
to agree with ditching the daemon. when people mis-understand your meaning and
think you are insulting their religion you are in very deep doodoo. I think
we all read the article a couple years back about the young lady stopping in a
Texan diner while traveling home from a Usenix conference.

BSD and their artwork has been restricted to a small group. if you want to go
mainstream, you can't wear a acid-rock band like logo. a pop or mainstream
rock logo (sun comes to mind).

if we want taken serious, we have to project a serious image. that can be
done with fun to show we are still creative and fun. but the average joe
does not know the image of a daemon is different from a demon. and why
risk the alienation when we can produce something new that conveys the
same cute image?

also isn't it about time we become FreeBSD not a free copy of BSD software?
the U of California is our "mother", but FreeBSD is it's own person now,
and it is time that we devolpe our own personality.

--mark.