Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:33:24 +0100
From:      "Deegan, Eddy" <Eddy.Deegan@ecng.co.uk>
To:        "'doc@FreeBSD.org'" <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   static_routes in rc.conf

Hi,

   I want to use static_routes in rc.conf on release 4 to configure two
predefined entries in the routing table autmatically on bootup. I tried
various combinations of "destination gateway" strings but it's not seeming
to work. Cutting and pasting the code out of rc.network reveals the eval
statement therein which, fankly seems bizarre. I can't make head nor tail of
what it's supposed to be doing.

I cam completely unable to find any useful documentation on this feature on
the freeBSD site, only oblique references to it being a feature for routers
and multihomed machines (mine is neither but I want to configure a static
route to an IP behind a firewall).

What I actually want to achieve is to have the system set an equivalent to
"route add 128.98.200.22 193.128.139.225" on bootup. Sure I could hack my
own entry into rc.network but I want to use the standard mechanism. I just
can't figure it out.

Help?!

--
Eddy Deegan BSc.,