Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:15:34 +0000
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kent Hauser <kent@tfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large IDE disks

Hi,

Reference:

Kent Hauser wrote:

> I need some advice.
>
> I'm putting a 2.2 GB IDE disk in my laptop. The problem is the
> bad sector information. With the straightforward approach, you
> can only store 126 bad sectors. A lot more than that were found.
>
> My question is: how's this done? How do you get freebsd to
> handle big disks?
>
> Please respond directly as I'm not on the list. Thanks.

A friend (Terry Carroll, Munich (still not on the net)
told me he used fdisk to carve his disc into 4 slices first,
then he ran bad144 * 4.
Ive no idea if this is valid or not,
no doubt other wiser people will comment :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey       jhs@freebsd.org         http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/