Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 14:30:07 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, karl@Mcs.Net, current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

On Fri, 21 Jul 1995, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > That is correct, we can't address your 1742/2742 problem in _any_ branch
> > until we find what it is that is causing it.  Since we have not identified
> > that problem how could we have fixed it???
>
> I thought Peter said it was a VM issue?  Or was I mistaken?

There's several problems.

The "silent death" on the 1742 is/was a buffer cache leak, of which
davigd has just recently committed the fix to -stable.

IMHO, the 2742 problem is completely unrelated...

(Karl, if you have a ncr controller handy, it might be worth trying that
and seeing if that works for you..  I seem to recall you mentioning that
the box with the 2742 is a new configuration, perhaps it might be worth
trying a few an alternatives until the 2742 problem can be found?  The
ncr controllers should be pretty close in performance to the 2742's from
what I've heard.  I know it's not the answer to probable software problem,
but it might get you out of a jam..)

> > Perhaps you should get on the -STABLE branch, stay there, and let us
> > work the problems in _one_ tree.
>
> That's what I'm going to do -- I'm supping the -STABLE branch right now onto
> one of our development machines in a place that I can work with it and not
> blow away anything else.

That's good news...  Please dont give up yet, we need to find the bugs
you've run into...

-Peter