Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:14:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 07:15:00PM -0400, Ugen Antsilevitch wrote:
> > Supporting winmodems
> > btw would be nice, although i doubt manufacturers will give us their code.
>
> That might not be necessary, eventually.  I've heard, obliquely,
> of a project to develop "open source" modem (data pump) software
> that is obviously aimed at these things.  It's not rocket science
> (well, not to DSP folks), and it is well and truly standardised.
> It would be a good final-year EE project in the right school.
> Also, since the theoretical limits of the POTS channel have pretty
> much been reached with V.34-bis or V.90, it's not even a moving
> target any more.  No wonder they're cheap now.
>
> Does anyone know whether there's more to a "WinModem" than a
> line hybrid, a codec and a PCI interface?

A large part of the problem in doing a Winmodem is because some of them
only farm out the AT command set handling to your system, others farm
out various pieces of the DSP work, and some do virtually nothing at
all, just leave it to software.  There isn't any standard, so there's
not a whole lot to work with, and doing this hurts your system.

> --
> Andrew

Chuck Robey                | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr@mat.net             | communications topic, C programming, Unix and
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 | carpentry.  It's all in the design!
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD/i386
(301) 220-2114             | jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD/Alpha