Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:12:33 -0500
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4 PCCARD woes with Compaq Presario laptop

Since upgrading my Compaq Presario 1235 laptop from FreeBSD 4.3 to 4.4
my PCCard subsystem seems quite unhappy.  I'm running a GENERIC kernel.
Everything worked swimmingly with 4.3.

As recommended in the release notes I put these lines
    hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
    hw.pcic.irq="0"
into /boot/loader.conf

Doing this made card insertion/removal dectection work again (it now
longer hangs the system upon reinsertion! Yay!!).  There still seem,
however, to be some sort of interrupt problem or the like... something
related to the new PCIC interrupt routing, perhaps?

Take my 3Com NIC (3CXE589ET), for example.  It seems to work in spurts.
Dhclient seems to manage to get a lease... but if I run a ping, for
example, I may receive no replies for a minute or so, and then all at
once I'll see a burst of quite a few.  Somewhat amusingly, the speaker
makes a crackling sound at the same time (I've never configured the
sound "card"!).

My modem card behaves simlarily... communication happens in spurts.

So... what's to be done?  Help!   :-)

Thanks much,

  Charles N. Owens                                Email: owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Senior Technology Officer
  Information Technology Services              Eastern Nazarene College