Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 12:22:55 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, dennis@etinc.com, julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

>>> Terry Lambert said:
 > >  > I would hate to convert my hobby into something like work :-(.  When
 > >  > I took the SVR4 support/development I thought that I would be like a
 > >  > kid in a candy store.  It ended up that the kid ate too much candy...
 > >
 > > Hmmm... Where is the candy ?
 > >
 > > BTW: We do need professional support for some of the things that people
 > > don't feel like doing.
 >
 > But do you then accept the resulting code into the free tree with no
 > questions asked?
 >
 > This is the other side of the coin for those considering offering
 > commercial support.  If the answer is "no", then they will have to
 > reintegrate their changes each release.  Me, Brian Litzinger, and
 > several others have already found that there are rather strenuous
 > requirements for integration.

Well Terry, in certain cases it would make sense to pay attention to
people who are willing to pay for changes in the system . Who knows
if enough of them request the same changes or bug fixes it may be
worthwhile to consider integrating the changes into the system.
Of course something like that would have to be consider in a
case by case basis. The other side of the coin is if Julian set
out to start his own business it may be to our own best interest
to keep his efforts as close as possible to the core distribution to
avoid BSD II.

Besides, this is all academic at this point since we don't know exactly
what Julian has in mind.

Old Timers Tale: I saw quite a few tops-10 installations hang themselves
due to custom changes to the kernel or system.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio