Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:32:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QIC-80 Floppy Tape Drive

On Friday, 22 September 2000 at 10:46:05 -0300, Gustavo Pamplona wrote:
> Hi.
>
> (Sorry for my English, I'm a brazilian)
>
> My name is Gustavo Pamplona
> and...
>
> I have a floppy tape drive from Colorado Memory Systems.  The model
> is Colorado Jumbo 250 MB Floppy Tape Drive, for use with QIC-80
> FloppyTapes of 250 Megabytes.
>
> I intend to use it with FreeBSD.
>
> How could I use it with the "ft" device driver and if possible:
>
> - Is the drive supported by FreeBSD ?

No.  Not any more.

The floppy tape driver has fallen into disuse, mainly because floppy
tapes are so unreliable that you're better off without a tape.  If you
want to buy a tape, look for cheap DDS-2 drives, which are sometimes
available new for under $100 (a few months back I bought three AIWA
drives for $79 each on Ebay).  Before choosing a drive, check for the
cost of media, which can rapidly exceed the cost of the drive.

If that's too expensive an outlay for you, consider a CD-R.  I
personally think it's too much work, but depending on your
requirements you may find it a better fit.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.