Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:13:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network/Routed Problem

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Dave Babler wrote:
>
> > What happens is this: the system suddenly cannot reach any host. Ping
> > reports that my router (which is functioning perfectly) is down. After
> > this point, rebooting the system does NOT fix the problem; the rc.network
> > hangs on starting routed. It will eventually reboot correctly again, but
> > it may take a dozen tries (including power-offs and reprogramming the NIC
> > from DOS, neither of which seem to make any difference). I've only seen
> > this problem since upgrading to 2.2 with then new driver (ie0) - I'm using
> > an Intel EtherExpress 16, which used to be the ix0 driver. I'm running
> > 2.2-STABLE. Between reboots of BSD, testing the NIC under DOS shows it to
> > be completely functional.
>
> Unfortunately the support for the Intel EtherExpress series leaves much to
> be desired.  We had to abandon an EtherExpress16 on our 486 server due to
> occaisional problems and traded it in for a totally flawless NE2000.

What problems did it have, Doug? I'm running this on a 486DX2-66
currently.

Well, I suppose if I have to, I will... except that it worked flawlessly
up until the driver was merged with the ix cards. On the plus side, I can
now run trafshow and other network tools - on the down side, that
apparently causes it to lock up in an unexplained way. Just *how* it can
survive EEPROM reprogramming and powerdowns and then suddenly start
working again is pure voodoo.

-Dave