Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:04:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adi Sieker <adi@living-source.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recovering a vinum volume

On Friday,  5 October 2001 at 10:02:22 +0200, Adi Sieker wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:58:03 +0930, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday,  4 October 2001 at 14:52:28 +0200, Adi Sieker wrote:
>>
>> If you can't read the data, you can't read the data.
>
> Well obvioulsy. :))
>
>> You can get the objects back sort of "up" with the 'setstate'
>> maintenence command, but
>> there's a good chance it'll go down again during fsck.  You could try
>> mounting read only.
>
> Well I tried both and 'yes' it goes down again when reading data from
> the drive.

*sigh*

> I would be happy to only get half the data back i.e. the data from the
> working 75GB hard drive. Is there any way to accomplish this?.

Well, getting the data off is simple.  Just dd from the surviving
subdisk.  There won't be much you can do with it, though, especially
if the plex was striped.

> Like replacing the broken hard drive with a new one and creating a new
> plex on that or even removing the broken hard drive from the vinum
> volume to only run the working hard drive?
> I am asking this stuff before trying anything, because I would like to
> know what chance I have before trying to change anything on the vinum
> config and have it totally screw the data on the discs.

Good idea.  I've seen too many people throw away data because they
assumed they couldn't get it back.

You could try some of these methods; I'd certainly recommend backing
up the accessible subdisk before trying anything.  It's possible that
you can use fsck with an alternate superblock to recover something,
but if the first half is gone, the best you can hope for is a maze of
twisty little lost+found files, all different.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.