Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:01:56 +0000
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NTFS data recovery

Hi All,

I have been given a laptop to look at for a friend, the hard disk is close =
to death with a SMART error on POST. My initial thought was to just mount i=
t on an Windows 7 machine and grab what I can from the drive. No joy Window=
s insists that the partition is RAW and I need to format it. I can however =
mount it under FreeBSD without any problems, the directory structure appear=
s to be intact but there are no files in the places I would expect to find =
them under the Users directory, I am guessing that these have somehow been =
deleted or perhaps the victim of a partial OEM recovery process. Is there a=
 way to scan the drive for deleted files from the command line or something=
 from the ports tree that anyone can recommend to fulfil this requirement.

Regards

Graeme