Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:37:26 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   securelevel too course-grained?

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:48:28 MST, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> Subject: Re: securelevel and ipfw zero
>
>     However, it does not allow you to do it if you are sitting at secure
>     level 3.

You don't think that this discussion highlights the growing inadequacy
of the securelevel mechanism's lack of granularity?

I have a feeling it'll be time soon enough for us to make each of the
decisions that is normally affected by securelevel dependant on the
value of sysctl knobs. Presumeably one or more of them would be
"write-once" knobs. :-)

How much existing software tests for kern.securelevel? And could we
make its value dependant on the new knobs? I can't see it being too big
a problem.

Ciao,
Sheldon.