Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:09:43 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: Oh man I'm going to get flamed

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> wrote:

> Just hear me out *grin*
>
> It would include the latest XFree86, KDE (or whatever most resembles
> the familiar StartButton), and OpenOffice.  Out of the box.  It would
> include viewers and players for common media -- practically built-in
> to KDE and its menus -- for files of type *.pdf, *.ra, *.asx, *.swf,
> *.doc, *.mov, *.qt,*.mpeg, *.mpg, *.mp3 and many other popular file
> types.

cd /usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation && make install && make clean

Incidentally, there is a Live-CD for demonstrating such a configuration
from NetBSD. Though NetBSD is actually somewhat less user friendly and
has less software selection than FreeBSD; so it's not the solution
you're looking for unless you need to salvage old non-PC hardware at
which it is unparalleled.

FreeBSD is not Windows, it is not Mandrake Linux (shudder), and most BSD
users don't want it that way. It is very useable IMHO not only as a
server, but also as a *workstation* OS, but that's not identical to a
"desktop" OS yet according to what most desktop consumers want. (Most
people in my experiences in supporting friends and co-workers don't even
know what to do at an MS-DOS prompt anymore thanks to Windows, much less
the real power of shells, sed, awk, perl, and friends.) FreeBSD is best
either for servers or for very technically competant people who like to
fiddle with the system and write the occasional program or script. There
will always be a useful niche for FreeBSD, just as Unix in general never
will die, and it doesn't need to be a Windows-killer to do so.