Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 18:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Dale Anderson <danderso@crystalsugar.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

On 05-May-99 Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
>> At 03:49 PM 5/5/99 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>>  >Anyone who brandishes an IT title is more than likely clueless.
>>
>> There, THAT'S the way to win customers. Not.
>
> Are you illiterate or am I just being too subtle again?
>
> Notice I said 'brandishes' and 'more than likely'.
>
> By 'brandishes' I mean 'someone to whom titles and TLAs mean more than
> hard facts.'  I thought that was clear.
>
> You also cleverly snipped the sentence that followed the above in which I
> qualified the statement.

I think his point (and I could be wrong) is that if an IT reads your message,
they will be turned off.  Kernel hackers and other people may get your message
perfectly fine, but you have to consider the entire scope of your audience.  If
someone goes to their IT manager to request permission to setup a FreeBSD box,
and then he/she happens to stumble across a quote like that while researching
FreeBSD for some reason, then the manager may tell the employee no just out of
spite.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc